History, of South Union Missionary Baptist Church
The South Union Missionary Baptist Church was organized February 19, 19 48 , at 3621 Lydia Street , Houston , Texas in the home of the late Brother Charlie Linville and Wife, with eight members. Rev. E. W. Williams, Founder and Pastor.
Our first worship service was held February 22, 1948 in a small office on the corner of Tierwester and Lydia . Later that year, two lots located at 3550 Lydia Street were purchased and our first small temple was erected on this site.
Early in 1950, the Reverend Percy B. Bryant, was called to the pastorate of South Union Missionary Baptist Church . He served 21 years as our shepherd.
In March 1967 our first fellowship hall was dedicated. On April 5, 1970 , the fellowship hall was named "Cheryl Ann Davis Fellowship Hall" in memory of the late Cheryl Ann Davis, one of the youth of our church.
Rev. Scott C. Watkins was call as pastor of South Union Missionary Baptist Church . Installation services for Pastor Watkins were held February 6, 1977 . He served 21 years as our shepherd.
In August of 1998, the Rev. Michael V. Smith, a minister at Lilly Grove Missionary Baptist Church , Houston , Texas , was called to the pastorate of South Union Missionary Baptist Church .
Pastor Smith's zeal for God and his dynamic preaching of the Word of God, challenges the church to "Press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus" and to heighten the effectiveness of the role of the church in the world.
During Pastor Smith's tenure, the sanctuary was remodeled and rededicated in 1999.
In February 1999, Ebony Gillium, a member of our Youth Department, initiated and designed the concept of our logo and Clara Carter made modifications to the logo.
In 2003 Pastor Smith appointed Rev. Valor Cooper to serve as Assistant Pastor and Youth Minister.
Two morning services were initiated in January 2005... 7:30AM and 10:45 AM .
God has blessed South Union Missionary Baptist Church in the past. He is blessing us right now. In Ephesians 6:10-18, we the Church of Jesus Christ as a warrior. We must fight to the end of the spiritual war, continuing in love for God and the Brethren and working together in unity for the advancement of God's kingdom. We work better when we work together. May God find among us a Church with all of these aspects. Our goal is to reach the world for Christ. Let us stand together with one strong purpose to achieve this goal.
Our Church logo proudly reflects our motto:
"Reaching Forth Unto Things Which Are Before"